Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Here are the facts, folks!

Following instructions, here are my replies to the Super Sox Box Swap Questionnaire. I hope I have given my swap buddy enough information here. If not, send more questions?

1.What are your favorite colors? What colors make you cringe?
My favorites are "jewel tones" - greens, blues, teals, purples, sunset colors. I cringe at most "dusty" colors, especially greens and browns that look dead.
2.Are you a new sock knitter? How long have you been knitting socks?
I have been knitting socks for about a year this time. Years ago I did a whole bunch of Christmas stockings, which are still socks, even if they are huge.
3.Do you prefer solid or multicolored yarn?
I prefer multicolor yarn or even a solid that has some mild shading - they just seem more lively to me.
4.What fibers do you prefer in sock yarn?
I have knit happily with wool blends and cotton blends. I haven't tried any of the newer fiber blends, although I look forward to it.
5.Where do you usually knit socks?
I work on socks at knitting group and during breaks at work. I look forward to getting more familiar and taking them everywhere.
6.How do you usually carry/store small projects?
I have a vast collection of bags of many sorts - some good for a sock project, and some that hold several projects, a book to read, things belonging to my children, etc. The right container is important to a project's success!
7.What are your favorite sock knitting patterns? Any favorite designers?
I don't have any favorites just now. I have a lot of patterns that I want to try - mostly things with a little lace or an interesting texture.
8.What are your favorite sock knitting techniques?
I like to knit two socks at once using Magic Loop just so I make sure to actually finish the second sock! I had fun with toe up socks as well, although those were a little hard to get started.
9.What new techniques would you like to try?
I am sure there are lots of heels and toes I haven't tried yet, but mostly I would like to reach the point that I don't have to consult a pattern all the time.
10.Do you prefer circulars or dpns for sock knitting?
Lately I have been using circulars - either two at once or magic loop, but I think I should try DPN's again to see if it makes life simpler for me.
11.What are some of your favorite yarns?
I like the variation and interest of hand dyed yarns, but really as long as the yarn feels nice and has colors I like, anything goes. About the only thing I am not wild about is the yarn with faux fair isle bits (grey and white or black and white specks).
12.What yarn do you adore and yearn for? What yarn makes you happiest?
Yarn that is soft and interesting and is in colors I like. It is fun to receive local yarn from somewhere near the home of my swap buddy!
13.Any pattern you would love to make if money and time were no object?
Can't think of one - sock knitting is such a reasonable hobby in terms of cost. I guess if time were no object I could find lots of complex cables or lace to fill my hours.
14.Favorite kind of needles (brand, materials, straights or circs, etc)?
Currently I am using Addi Turbos for magic loop (since they come in 40 inch length). I also like to knit with bamboo, especially if the yarn is at all slippery.
If you were a specific kind of yarn, which brand and kind of yarn would you be?
Purple and teal hand-dyed merino/silk/alpaca blend lace weight. Can't think of a brand that makes such a thing, but there probably is one out there.
Do you have a favorite candy or mail-able snack? Sweet or salty?
I am a big fan of dark chocolate anything. It is fun to receive local favorites! Salty is okay, too.
Do you collect anything?
I think I mostly collect yarn and patterns and knitting books! We also have quite a few musical instruments around the house. I also collect cookbooks - I love to read them and then try some of the new recipes.
What is your favorite scent?
I try to stay away from scented things since they are often too strong. I use lavender shower soap sometimes, and I like spices and citrus also, but very low key.
Will you be celebrating a birthday, anniversary, etc. between now and the close of the swap?
Sadly no - my birthday is in December and my anniversary is in October.
What’s your favorite animal?
Do humans count? I like watching the loons on the lake in New Hampshire and also chipmunks racing around the woods.
Do you have pets? What are their species/names/ages?
We have one dog - a five year old Shiba Inu named Pippin. Other than that, just the children (ages 16,14,11, and 8) and a number of mice who think this house is theirs.
Tell me the best quote you’ve ever heard or read.
My favorite quote is from a book called "The Once and Future King" by T.H. White; it is a version of the King Arthur legends. It starts like this: “The best thing for being sad,” ... “is to learn something. That is the only thing that never fails....I can send you the whole thing sometime if you like.
What is your motto in life?
To try new things whenever I can, and to read lots of books, especially those written about things I am unlikely to do.
Do you have a wishlist? (ie: Amazon, B&N, a LYS, online store, etc.) Please list link here.
Not one that is up to date enough to share.
Anything else you’d like to share with your Sox Box pal?
I am looking forward to getting to know you. This should be a lot of fun!
Any allergies to be aware of for this swap?
None here!
Coffee, Tea?
I am a coffee fan but sometimes drink tea as well - especially iced tea when it is hot.
Anything Else?
Can you give me an idea how long it takes things to arrive there from the US? I don't want to be too late sending my package!

So there it is - probably more than seems strictly necessary, but some of the details should make for some interesting conversations with my buddy. It is a wonderful thing that this elephant known as the Internet makes this kind of fun possible. When I was a kid my mother belonged to the local Eastern Star chapter, and they always had a year long secret pal program going on. It seemed fun to me then too, even though I was on the outside looking in.

No comments: